Global Game Jam: San Diego!
2020 Global Game Jam at The San Diego Innovation Center
Sponsored by Kast.gg and The San Diego Innovation Center
Join IGDA San Diego for Global Game Jam 2020 at the San Diego Innovation Center! This event is open to jammers of all skill levels and disciplines. Come have fun, meet new people, and make awesome games as part of the largest game jam in the world!
- General Admission – $30
We are no longer accepting Walk-ins at the Jam!
- Select Meals will be provided all weekend.
- Shopping center nearby for extra Food and Supplies.
- No overnight Accommodations. Location closes at Midnight and re-opens at 8:00 am.
- No on-site equipment provided. Participants must bring their own computers and software, or make a non-digital game. There is no overnight security so participants should plan to take their belongings home each night. The IGDA San Diego, Kast, and San Diego Innovation Center are not responsible for any attendee’s belongings or physical person during this event.
- Participants must be 18 years or older to participate.
- No animals are allowed on-site. Please contact the IGDA at email@example.com to arrange for a service animal to be on site.
- To request accomodations, please contact the IGDA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please no drinking or smoking on site!
- 6:00pm – 7:00pm: Check in
- 7:00pm – 7:30pm : Opening statements, ground rules, and Keynote
- 7:30pm – 8:00pm: Theme reveal. Pitch ideas and form teams.
- 8:00pm: Jam starts!
- 12:00am: VENUE CLOSES
- 8:00am: VENUE OPENS
- 12:00am: VENUE CLOSES
- 8:00am: VENUE OPENS
- 6:00pm: Submission window opens
- 8:00pm: Submission window closes
- 8:15pm: Game showcase
- 8:45 – 9:00pm: Cleaning the campus
- 9:00pm+: GO HOME 🙂
Volunteer with us!
If you are interested in sponsoring, volunteering, or just looking to give back to the local development community, please email email@example.com.
More Game Jam Info!
What is a game jam?
A game jam is an event where pros and hobbyists come together to build a game in a set period of time, usually 48 hours. Participants are given a theme and set out to interpret that theme into a game in small groups.
Is this a competition?
No! The focus of Global Game Jam is collaboration.
Do I need to come with a team fully formed?
There is no need to come to the Jam with a team. Ideally everyone forms teams on the Friday and get the chance to work with new people. You will have some time to think and pitch an idea. Make new friends or jam with peers you admire.
How many people will be there?
We expect 60 participants.
Do I need to be a game developer to attend?
The jam is open to everyone regardless of skill level or profession.
What kind of games can I make?
Digital or analog games are accepted. If you’re not a programmer but have a great idea, turn it into a board game!
Do I need to be an IGDA member to participate?
This event is open to the public. No membership is required, but IGDA membership helps fund future events!
About “Global Game Jam”
The Global Game Jam® (GGJ) is the world’s largest game jam event (game creation) taking place around the world at physical locations. Think of it as a hackathon focused on game development. It is the growth of an idea that in today’s heavily connected world, we could come together, be creative, share experiences and express ourselves in a multitude of ways using video games – it is very universal.
The weekend stirs a global creative buzz in games, while at the same time exploring the process of development, be it programming, iterative design, narrative exploration or artistic expression. It is all condensed into a 48 hour development cycle. The GGJ encourages people with all kinds of backgrounds to participate and contribute to this global spread of game development and creativity.
The structure of a jam is usually that everyone gathers on Friday late afternoon, watches a short video keynote with advice from leading game developers, and then a secret theme is announced. All sites worldwide are then challenged to make games based on that same theme, with games to be completed by Sunday afternoon. In January 2019, we had 860 locations in 113 countries create 9,010 games in one weekend! GGJ 2020 is 31 January – 2 February at a location near you… if not you can make one of your own.
The jam is known for helping foster new friendships, increase confidence and opportunities within the community. The jam is always an intellectual challenge. People are invited to explore new technology tools, trying on new roles in development and testing their skills to do something that requires them to design, develop create, test and make a new game in the time span of 48 hours.
Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!